View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2017, 1:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to WADder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking for a compiled copy of Benzin or similar editor for 

Have thanks: 0 time
Post Looking for a compiled copy of Benzin or similar editor for
BRLYT and BRLAN files. Links please. Thanks.

By the way, I know the maker of Benzin hasn't released Binaries and prevents the program code from being implemented in other software. But I just want Benzin.exe and not put in any other program. If the author won't permit that, then either find ANOTHER program that does the same thing but uses none of Benzin's source code, or give me the email address of Benzin's author and I'll personally ask him to compile a copy for me (I have no clue how to compile with C) for my personal use.

August 25th, 2010, 5:51 am
Report this post
Site Admin

Have thanks: 72 time
Post Re: Looking for a compiled copy of Benzin or similar editor for
Unfortunately the author doesn't want people to distribute the binaries. They won't send you binaries either, but they have written a very easy to follow guide on compiling. And honestly, if you can't compile it using the guide you probably won't have much luck using benzin.exe.

Some useful links:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Benzin
http://github.com/SquidMan/benzin/
http://github.com/SquidMan/benzin/blob/ ... ctions.txt

August 25th, 2010, 7:21 am
Report this post

Post Re: Looking for a compiled copy of Benzin or similar editor
I have to agree with wilsoff that if you cant compile it your not going to be able to use it.

I am a novice at programming and my intrest is in creating high quality forwarders for homebrew apps. It took me about 4 hours getting benzin to compile, plus finding the mistake in the instructions. I belive it was placed there deliberate just to catch out the total noob.

the authors baffle me tho. why release the source code if you dont want binaries to float around the interwebs, dont publish your source code.

Marty.

December 16th, 2010, 12:20 am
Report this post
Global Moderator

Have thanks: 11 time
The reason I remember was that he didnt want old versions floating around. We used to have permission to keep a compiled copy back at the original wadder, but not here :(

December 18th, 2010, 8:01 pm
Report this post

yeah, i read that somewhere, But without trying to offend anyone, that has gotta be the most rediculous thing i have ever heard. First of all, its such a pain to compile it that i wont be checking every month or so to see if the source code has been updated... surely a quick bit of scripting for an an app to call back home to check for updates and post the difrent platform binaries is the best way to keep old versions out of circulation? I understand that he didnt want it to become a windows only app? again I cant fathom his reasoning?

December 19th, 2010, 1:30 am
Report this post
Beta Tester

Have thanks: 6 time
I have to slighlty agree with bones....

Self-Built Computer:

Laptop:
wiihackerz101

December 19th, 2010, 2:31 am
Report this post
Global Moderator

Have thanks: 11 time
I know, I know. Pretty much all of us disagreed with megazig on that. But its his, we should respect him.

December 19th, 2010, 7:02 am
Report this post
Site Admin

There will be no more updates :(

So if you can find a copy then you're all set. 1.9.9 works pretty well. There are a couple of bugs so I still use 1.2.1 (IIRC) for certain colour animations (like in my gameboy channel). If you run the brlan through benzin 1.9.9 and back again it eff's up the colour changes.

Megazig (and Squidman) have a number of reasons. I can't remember all of them, but some are:

1) they wanted people to look at the code instead of just using it... this way people are more likely to give somethign back.
2) Seriously, if you can't compile it, there's little chance you'll be able to use it to actually make any fully unique channels. Yes, it takes a couple of hours to install all teh shiz you need to compile it, but this is tiny compared to the amount of time you'll spend learning how to use it.
3) By distributing binaries, people get used to using one version and again there is less external input into the code.

Whether I agree with all/some/none of this is irrelevant :p

December 19th, 2010, 10:39 pm
Report this post

When you put it like that it does make sort of some sense. When I compiled it, I found a typo (can’t remember if it was the makefile or the winblows instructions) that until I spotted it was causing a compile error.. I thought at the time it was done deliberately to make you read and understand what you are doing.

The thing is that the people that will get the most use out of the benzin binary will most probably not be proficient enough programmers to be able to contribute to the source code in an effective way. But as you say, it his/their app, it’s entirely up to them to decide how they wish to distribute it. Without it, where would we be? So jump through hoops and ring the bells in the right order to get a working copy it is.

Myself, I have never done any "real" programming as such... a little bit of PHP and a few database front ends in (for my sins) visual basic. My real passion is for photography and graphic arts, so my efforts for the wii will be very high quality forwarder channels. I have in my head what I want, but for the moment it’s learning the how to...

PS, lovin your yin-yan logo!!

December 20th, 2010, 12:24 am
Report this post
Site Admin

Actually, you're right. There is something in one of the files that doesn't compile on windows unless you change it. There's a mismatch between number types/lengths I think. It's not intentional, it's just a quirk of the standard windows config. Tha is a bit of a bitch though :)

I had details of the change required on the old wadder, but it's long gone now :(

December 20th, 2010, 1:43 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next