View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 27th, 2017, 2:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to WADder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 My old bricked Wii 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 8 time
Post My old bricked Wii
I don't know how many of you who still roam around here remember way back on original WADder when we were trying to fix my old bricked Wii or not, but that's what this story is about.

I bricked it before the days of WADder, where custom channels had to be made by hand. I screwed up on a channel, and my Wii banner bricked. I didn't have Priiloader (or I think it was the app BEFORE Preloader in those days) or any other brick protection. I never properly hacked the Wii because I didn't know what I was doing back then. It had some kind of cIOS or another, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't ever get a homebrew disc to load. My Wii menu was 3.3v1, so of course I didn't have trucha either. I bought a WiiKey 2 thinking that I could use it to boot Zelda and launch WAD Manager through the Twilight Hack. But unfortunately for me, I had apparently deleted the Twilight Hack before I bricked.

Eventually I gave up and bought my new Wii. The old Wii sat and collected dust for years. It's missing all of its case screws because I took it apart and lost the screws before I could put it back together. Even with the new Wii, I still wanted to fix the old one. The WODE came around so I was much more willing to try random fix discs than before, since I didn't have to waste DVDs and burn anything. But again, nothing worked.

Just last night, I read something on GBATemp about fixing a banner brick with the Netflix Instant Streaming Disc. It was really clever. All you had to do was boot the disc without an internet connection, and the disc would take you to the Wii setting menu in order to set up a connection. From there, you were supposedly able to get into the data management screen and install a savegame exploit or use Bannerbomb v1. I tried it. Of course, it didn't work. The Netflix disc takes you right to the "internet" screen of Wii settings. As soon as you go far enough back to choose "data management," the Wii reboots back to the DVD drive. I was really disappointed, but then one last idea came to me. It would either work or not. If it didn't, I knew that I'd probably never unbrick the Wii. Now, I know that when you're softmodded you should never format the Wii system memory, but I figured I had absolutely nothing to lose. I booted up the Netflix disc again through the recovery menu, went into Wii settings, clicked format, and waited eagerly. To my surprise, IT WORKED! The Wii took me back to the Wii Menu and my bad channel is finally gone! Sure, it's about 2 or 3 years late, but at least I finally accomplished my goal of unbricking that Wii!

February 4th, 2011, 10:56 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Have thanks: 72 time
Post Re: My old bricked Wii
Was it a bad channel or bad theme? Formatting shouldn't have fixed a bad channel!

February 5th, 2011, 1:15 am
Report this post
Beta Tester

Have thanks: 6 time
wilsoff wrote:
Was it a bad channel or bad theme? Formatting shouldn't have fixed a bad channel!

lol even if it is a different problem,,, good job on the wii fix....I remeber that from hella days ago :P

Self-Built Computer:

Laptop:
wiihackerz101

February 5th, 2011, 1:58 am
Report this post
Site Admin

Have thanks: 8 time
wilsoff wrote:

Bad channel. And formatting fixed it, even though it shouldn't :)

February 5th, 2011, 4:13 am
Report this post
Wii Theme Team

Have thanks: 35 time
great work m8 glad you finally fix it

February 5th, 2011, 9:23 am
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]